As a single parent, you rely on the child support you receive from your former spouse. The money helps you take care of your children and provide for their needs. But when your ex moves out of state, he or she may believe Georgia courts can no longer enforce a child support order.

However, all states, including Georgia, have passed laws that protect children from interstate disputes. A non-custodial parent moving out of Georgia’s jurisdiction will not affect the custodial parent’s ability to collect support.

UIFSA enforces child support orders across state lines

When non-custodial parents move out of state, they must still honor their child support obligations. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) ensures that each state has a law that gives the original support order authority throughout the country.

If the child support ruling happens anywhere in Georgia, courts out of state cannot change it as long as the children and custodial parent don’t move. And the custodial parent can still enforce the order, even from out of state. If the non-custodial parent tries to stop paying or change the ruling based on a different state’s laws, judges follow the original support order.

Enforcing a ruling

While your former spouse must still pay child support, enforcing that order from a different state may be more difficult. However, the UIFSA does provide options for holding your ex responsible. These include:

  • Asking the original court to enforce the ruling – The court that made the rule may still have the authority to enforce the support order, even from out of state.
  • Asking a court in the other state to enforce it – If your Georgia court no longer has jurisdiction, you can ask them to send the order to a court in your former spouse’s new state. You can also file an enforcement order in that state.
  • Ask your former spouse’s employer to garnish wages – Since the child support order has authority regardless of the state, you can send it to your ex’s employer. The employer can take the support directly out of your former spouse’s paycheck.

UIFSA can protect your children’s financial support

Child support is a benefit meant for your children. Regardless of where your children’s other parent is, courts expect it to be paid. By enforcing support orders across state lines, courts ensure that your former spouse provides for your children.